The BRAILLE CHALLENGE is a national program of the Braille Institute® hosted by regional schools and agencies that serve blind and visually impaired children. It is the only national braille literacy competition of its kind in the country, and is specifically designed to challenge and reward blind students for their study of braille, which is essential to their future academic and employment success. Regional students who score among the top 60 nationally are invited to Braille Institute in Los Angeles for a final competition!
- 2016 Tentative Agenda for Braille Challenge
- 2016 Braille Challenge Practice Materials
- 2016 Florida Regional Braille Challenge – “Save-the-Date Flyer”
- Florida Regional Braille Challenge FAQ
- Promoting Literacy Skills in Students Who Are Blind and Visually Impaired
2016 FL Braille Challenge Student Permission Forms and Online Registration
2016 FRBC Locations and Dates
North Florida – January 28, 2016, Jacksonville Public Library, 303 N. Laurel Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202 – due date November 16th. North Permission Form
East Florida – February 19, 2016 – Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church – 1655 Peel Avenue, Orlando, FL 32806 – due date November 30th. East Permission Form
South Florida – February 26, 2016 – Arthur Ashe, Jr. Campus – 1701 N.W. 23rd Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311 – due date November 30th. South Permission Form
West Florida – March 04, 2016 – Lions Eye Institute Foundation – 1410 N. 21st Street, Tampa, FL 33605 – due date November 30th. West Permission Form
Florida Instructional Materials Center for the Visually Impaired wishes to gratefully acknowledge the generous support of our 2016 Regional Braille Challenge sponsors:
- Braille Institute of America
- Brailleworks, Inc.
- Broward Schools Program for Visually Impaired
- Caspers Company
- Central Florida Braille Association
- Eone Timepieces, Inc.
- Florida Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- FNS Cafeteria
- Florida Reading and Vision Technology
- Florida School for the Deaf and Blind
- Florida State University Visual Disabilities Program
- Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church
- HIMS, Inc.
- Jacksonville Public Library
- Lighthouse of Broward
- Lighthouse Central Florida
- Lighthouse of Pinellas
- Lions Eye Institute Foundation
- Mid-Florida Council of the Blind
- National Braille Press
- Orange County Schools Visually Impaired Program
- Pinellas Braille Group
- School District of Hillsborough County
- Seedlings Braille Books for Children
- Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind
- Winn Dixie Super Markets
Please contact Sue Glaser for additional information at FloridaBrailleChallenge@gmail.com, Cell Phone: 813-695-8193 or Fax: 813-837-7979.