Curriculum and Instruction
- Florida Students with Sensory Impairments 11/7/2017
- O&M VISSIT Webinar; Join Rona Pogrund and Shannon Darst to learn about a new tool, the O&M Visual Impairment Scale of Service Intensity of Texas (O&M VISSIT), that was developed to guide itinerant O&M specialists in determining the type and amount of service to recommend for their students based on student need from assessment data. 11/7/2017
- Florida Services Webinar; If you are curious to know about statewide services for people who are blind and visually impaired in Florida, you will not want to miss this webinar! We will discuss opportunities and services that are available for students with visual impairments. 10/26/2017
- Conklin Center Services Webinar: Join us for an opportunity to learn more about the Conklin Center for the Blind located in Daytona Beach, Florida. Staff from the facility will be sharing information about services they provide and who is eligible for their programs. This non-profit organization specializes in serving children and adults with visual impairments and multiple disabilities. 3/27/18
- UEB Instructional Practices: Need additional training in UEB? Join us for this three-part webinar series (aired in 2015-2016) addressing the transition to UEB, changes to the code, and instructional strategies. December 8, 2015, December 15, 2015 , January 4, 2016
- Just the Facts! Math with UEB and Nemeth: This three-part webinar series from 2016, will cover FIMC-VI’s current knowledge about UEB’s impact of Nemeth Code in technical text. Learn more about these changes and how they affect students who read braille. January 13, 2016, January 21, 2016, February 12, 2016
- Eye Conditions and the Implications for Learning: A review of the most common eye conditions and how that condition affects a student’s ability to function in the classroom. Coming soon!
- It’s Not Just an Octagon! The Many Uses of the Geometro with Aniceta Skowron: November 3, 2016
- Ready, Set, Braille Challenge! November 9, 2016
- Cooking without a Kitchen: January 11, 2017
- FIMC-VI Tech Tips; Come gather around the virtual water cooler during FIMC-VI Tech Tips to share information about current technology and apps, and to learn about up and coming technology for students with visual impairments. This webinar is your chance to collaborate with other teachers and learn from each other. 3/28/2018
- Tech Tip Friday: Join us “by the water cooler” for a discussion of current access technology (AT). These three open-forum sessions discussed the trials, tribulations, and celebrations with access technology. Teachers shared their tips, favorite apps, and experiences regarding the use of AT with students with visual impairments. September 25, 2015, December 11, 2015, April 22, 2016, September 8, 2016, March 23, 2017, May 18, 2017
- Screen Readers (JAWS): This session addressed the use of the screen reader JAWS. Learn basic keyboard commands for producing and editing with common word processing software. April 6, 2016
- iPad Accessibility: iPad accessibility features such as Zoom and VoiceOver are discussed in these two sessions. March 23, 2016, April 1, 2016
- Apps for Access: February 16, 2017
- Accessible Calculators: January 26, 2017
Parents and Caregivers
- Navigating the IEP: A review for parents how they can help develop a quality Individual Education Plan (IEP) for their children with visual impairments. March 30, 2016
Assessments and Procedures
- Florida Standards and the ECC: Three-part webinar series discussed how to connect the Florida Standards and the Expanded Core Competencies with IEP goals for students with visual impairments.
Please note, this webinar was recorded prior to the 2017 revision of the Florida Department of Education State Board Rule – Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students with Visual Impairments (6A-6.03014). Click here for the current State Board Rule.October 13, 2015, November 10, 2015, December 3, 2015
- What??? I Have a Student with a Visual Impairment in My Class this Year? Strategies for the Classroom Teacher: Session one discussed the state and federal laws, ethics, and policies and procedures related to all students with visual impairments. Sessions two and three provide a review of common educational questions, accommodations and modifications. Session two focused on students that primarily use braille and session three discussed students with low vision. September 16, 2014, October 9, 2014, October 30, 2014
- Functional Vision and Learning Media Assessments: A discussion (in three sessions) regarding assessments of functional vision, learning media, and Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC) meeting the standards of IDEA and the Florida State Board of Education rule AND resulting in appropriate instruction.
Please note, this webinar was recorded prior to the 2017 revision of the Florida Department of Education State Board Rule – Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students with Visual Impairments (6A-6.03014). Click here for the current State Board Rule.October 28, 2014, December 9, 2014, February 3, 2015
- Determining Type, Time and Intensity of Services: As a follow-up to the webinar series on assessments of functional vision and learning media, these two sessions discuss using data to determine the type, time and intensity of services for students with visual impairments. Discussion includes various tools to help teachers of the visually impaired develop a quality IEP and provide appropriate instruction.
Please note, this webinar was recorded prior to the 2017 revision of the Florida Department of Education State Board Rule – Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students with Visual Impairments (6A-6.03014). Click here for the current State Board Rule.May 12, 2015, May 28, 2015
- The Importance of Eye Medicals: September 28, 2017